[Geany-devel] GtkFileChooser "recent" annoyance

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Dec 21 20:42:32 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 07:41 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 21.12.2011 16:39, schrieb Matthew Brush:

>>> But it's in GTK, and it'll behave that way everywhere where GTK is, no?
>>> I.e. on non-Gnome DEs. So how's that a Gnome-only thing? Unless GTK has
>>> a "if (gnome) {}" code path?
>>>

>> Yes, it's in GTK+ as default because a GNOME "designer" put it there,
>> breaking every GTK+ application (GNOME-specific or otherwise) that
>> relied on the default behaviour.
>

> How come you say "it makes Geany's GTK+ open dialog even weirder on
> non-GNOME DE" then if it's not gnome specific at all?

It *should be GNOME-specific* is my point, not something applied to all
GTK+ programs who relied on the previously sane default.

It makes Geany's open dialog weirder because depending on which document
is currently open, it changes the entire look and behaviour of the open
dialog and also some DEs that use GTK+ don't follow the recent files
standard which makes the recent files view even weirder (ie. Where's
that file I just opened in Internet Explorer?).  What's more, AFAIK no
other DE's open dialog does this by default, so that we're using GTK+
will be that much more obvious and awkward for users of those DEs.

> I'd argue the other way around. Your patch makes Geany's open dialog
> behave differently to the rest of the GTK apps.

Maybe it makes it behave different to the rest of GTK+ apps that don't
set a default current folder and haven't been patched to do so yet.
Already on my desktop many applications are setting a default themselves
causing this weird new view not to be shown.  Geany is currently one of
the "odd balls" because we never set the default current folder before.