[Geany-devel] GtkFileChooser "recent" annoyance

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Dec 20 08:52:25 UTC 2011

Am 20.12.2011 05:07, schrieb Matthew Brush:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone opposed to me committing the trivial patch attached here.
> The comment I think describes it well enough, and if you're using
> recent GTK+ 2.24.x you probably already know about it.
>
> I didn't want to commit without asking since maybe some people will
> find this new "feature"[1][2] useful, I personally find it extremely
> annoying, but I wouldn't want to fix it at the expense of annoying
> others.
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush

I quite like that it starts in recently used. $HOME is never the right
location to save for me, so I always need to click. And recently used is
usually less clicks because the last folder in there.

You add in the comment that "recently used" is only one click away.
However, the same can be said about $HOME.

Why is it so annoying to you? Do you often save in $HOME? "Recently
Used" fixes an annoyance for me, and gnome page you linked describes it,
that I save (accidentally) in $HOME.

Slightly related: How do you make the file chooser (when opening a file)
hide filename entry by default? In gtk+3 there's a dconf setting for it,
but I don't know for 2.x.

Best regards.