[Geany-devel] Just a stupid github question: How to merge a pull request with fast forward?

Nathan Broadbent nathan.f77 at xxxxx
Tue Dec 13 08:51:12 UTC 2011

> See question from subject line. How can I merge a pull request without
> adding a new commit stating the merge? Is there some kind of ff or
> cherry-pick available through front end?

Hi,

You can't do a cherry pick or rebase through the front-end. I think adding
this 'merge pull request' commit is a good idea, since it shows more
information about where the commit came from.

But if you want, you can use 'git rebase' to avoid the merge commit. In the
case of my 'gitignore' branch, you could have run the following commands:

    git remote add ndbroadbent git://
github.com/ndbroadbent/geany-plugins.git
    git fetch ndbroadbent
    git rebase ndbroadbent/gitignore
    git remote rm ndbroadbent

Cheers,