[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Wed Aug 31 20:07:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 17:21, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Le 31/08/2011 00:01, Jiří Techet a écrit :
>> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 13:17, Thomas Martitz
>> <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

>>> I could also ask the one that successfully converted our Rockbox svn repo to
>>> git, including proper branch, tag and author conversion, to write up the
>>> steps it needed. I think it was less than a day of work for him (and the
>>> Rockbox tree and history is considerably larger and more complicated than
>>> Geany's).
>>
>> I expect the whole conversion of Geany's vcs wouldn't take more than 4
>> hours. I believe I know enough to perform the complete conversion
>> myself but of course it would be useful to know someone else's
>> experience.
>
> FWIW, I've played a little with git-svn, and I've got a few things
> working/non-working:
>
> 1) as expected, it doesn't make merges looks like merges, but as a
> single commit.  However Thomas said on IRC that SVN didn't knew merges
> either, maybe it makes this impossible to track then?

Yes, as I said earlier, this has to be adjusted manually by the grafts file.

> 2) I've got a full commiters list, hopefully OK (that's the only useful
> part of this email actually...):
>
>        colombanw = Colomban Wendling <ban at herbesfolles.org>
>        eht16 = Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
>        (no author) = Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
>        fralan = Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
>        frlan = Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
>        kretek = Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
>        ntrel = Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>
>        dmaphy = Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>
>        statc = Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com>
>        elextr = Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com>
>        peterscholtens = Peter Scholtens <peter.scholtens at xs4all.nl>
>        clytie = Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au>

Great, good to know.

> Frank especially, can you confirm your 3 nicks? (although I've based the
> matches on SF + commits)
>
> 3) We won't probably be able to create Git tags from the SVN tags
> because they (at least Geany-0_18 do) don't all tag a single commit
> (e.g. it's a branch)

If I remember correctly, there should be tags as an output of svn2git.
I'd just prefer getting rid of the created tag-branches by rebasing
the rest of trunk on top of the tag-branches (for every tag).

Cheers,

Jiri