[Geany-devel] Glade Code Generation and GtkBuilder

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Aug 30 00:20:19 UTC 2011

[...]
> Heh, ok, it wasn't fun, just trying to avoid the inevitable "it's too early!
> we only just switched to 2.12!!".  I'm writing a plugin for fun, and it's
> going to require GTK+ 3.

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at GTK-3 but
it *is* too early to remove support for GTK-2.  I've not looked at
what changed for GTK-3, can we support both without much work (after
gtkbuilder is incorporated)?  Lots of #ifdefs would be bad.

> I'm not sure if you've used Glade 3, especially newer versions of it, but
> it's pretty great IMO.  And they wisely got rid of that pesky code
> generation feature which had the potential to cause some serious grief down
> the road :)

Only used older glade 3, but a quick look at docs doesn't say a huge
amount changed.

> Out of curiosity, what's the alternative to Glade? If it can only build LCD
> UIs, what would you use to build a non-LCD UI in GTK+?  Surely not hand/hard
> coded widget building code?

Sadly yes, you deleted my example from build.c where it is needed.

[...]
> Was it going from raw generated C code to LibGlade/GtkBuilder, or was it
> going from LibGlade to GtkBuilder?  I think the former is a more daunting
> task than the latter, though I could be mistaken.

Same as Geany, glade generated code to builder.