[Geany-devel] Glade Code Generation and GtkBuilder

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Aug 29 14:28:02 UTC 2011

On 08/29/2011 03:00 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 17:53, Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:
>>
>> I was messing around with Geany code to see what it would take to compile it
>> against GTK+ 3 (just for fun).  There doesn't seem to be too many changes
>> needed, with one *massive* exception: the old code generated by old glade
>> versions.
>
> You have some weird concept of fun :-)

Heh, ok, it wasn't fun, just trying to avoid the inevitable "it's too
early! we only just switched to 2.12!!".  I'm writing a plugin for fun,
and it's going to require GTK+ 3.

> Personally I am not a big fan of Glade, it seems to me to only build
> lowest common denominator UIs, but that may be just me.

I'm not sure if you've used Glade 3, especially newer versions of it,
but it's pretty great IMO.  And they wisely got rid of that pesky code
generation feature which had the potential to cause some serious grief
down the road :)

Out of curiosity, what's the alternative to Glade? If it can only build
LCD UIs, what would you use to build a non-LCD UI in GTK+?  Surely not
hand/hard coded widget building code?

> Can we fix the names, please please, foo1 foo2 foo3 is really
> annoying, its hard to tell which is the one I want, if we need to
> break the thing lets put it back together properly.

+++++1

>> Maybe I'm over-estimating the scope of the change.  Is there some
>> silver-bullet approach that will make this trivial?
>
> I've only been involved in doing this once, it wasn't too bad, but I
> think that UI was a bit better put together than Geany, but Geany is
> much smaller than it was.  It is a couple of years ago so the memory
> is a bit hazy.

Was it going from raw generated C code to LibGlade/GtkBuilder, or was it
going from LibGlade to GtkBuilder?  I think the former is a more
daunting task than the latter, though I could be mistaken.