[Geany-devel] Git for plugins

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun Aug 28 21:59:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 02:47, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 08/25/2011 03:27 AM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:51:24 +1000
>> Lex Trotman<elextr at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>>> Yes, with DVCS each plugin can have its own repository and the Geany
>>> project only needs to manage the aggregated build.
>>
>> Yes, this was the outcome on IRC. So once a feature is ready/bug has
>> been fixed a pull request is send to maintainer who is including them
>> into his/her tree. Once this has been done a snapshot of that tree
>> will be the release.
>>

> I disagree with this.  I think using a workflow more like I linked to
> previously where people work from feature branches, and only merge to
> "devel" when the feature is complete (or bug fixed, etc) would be better. I
> just feel like limiting access *more* than before is a step backwards for
> the project.

In contrast, I agree with the original proposal because there are two
different responsibilities:

1. Plugin bugfixing and development (plugin maintainers) - responsible
for their plugins (development, bug fixes)

2. geany-plugins project maintenance (Frank) - responsibility for the
overall combined project

And the proposed workflow fits the different responsibilities very well.

> IMO, it would be better to give people the benefit of the doubt, and if
> someone continually pushes broken builds and stuff to the "devel" branch,
> then revoke access and work on a pull-request system like you mentioned.

I think it could be discouraging for the developers for whom you
revoke access. It's like telling them "I don't trust you". If nobody
of the plugin maintainers has commit access, it's the same rule for
everyone and you won't hurt anyone's feelings.

> I do think there still is a place to have a maintainer, who will be the
> person who reverts changes made that break the build at will, without
> needing to ask other people for approval and who decides when it's necessary
> to revoke access.

I believe it may be necessary sometimes for Frank to modify all the
plugins (like when something changes in Geany and affects all the
plugins). But in this case it's not necessary that the patches go
first down to the individual maintainers and then back to
geany-plugins. Frank just commits the changes directly and plugin
maintainers will merge (or rebase) their repositories. Stuff like that
is pretty easy with git.

> +1 for Frank for maintainer like this :)

Of course! And feel free to revoke my commit access :-).

Cheers,
Jiri