[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun Aug 28 21:20:31 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 18:02, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 22/08/2011 00:27, Jiří Techet a écrit :
>> 1 and 2: GitHub or Gitorious are the only options if you want personal
>> repositories (which is the main reason I want the git switch). It's
>> not a crucial decision at all which one you chose - if you pick GitHub
>> and realize it stinks, you can always move the repository to
>> Gitorious. The only problem is that contributors would have to move
>> their personal clones too, but it's not a big deal.
>
> I'd like to at least have a synchronized version on git.geany.org.  Even
> if it wouldn't have that personal clones, it could be the main clone
> source or at least a backup mirror.

There's one here

http://repo.or.cz/w/geany-mirror.git

but without personal clones I don't find it very useful...

>> 3. Which website to use for the repository? (I suggest GitHub for now,
>> and if it doesn't work well, it's no problem to change it for
>> something else later)
>
> I personally don't really care but take into account that maybe we don't
> want to move the bugs (already mentioned in a previous thread...) for now.

Agree, moving bug tracker is a completely different topic.

> Also I'm not sure I like such web sites (I'm not a web-interface fan),

Neither am I.

> but I can adapt myself and may even like it.

I believe there's some unnecessary fear of the "social" aspect of
these web sites. Once you set up the repository you don't have to use
the web site any more. It's up to the project's policy what of the
social features you want to use. For instance, you can use GitHub for
merge requests. But also instead use this mailing list and request the
merge manually by emails like "hey, I have a new bugfix, it's present
in my branch here: hithub_personal_repository". The later would be
actually my preferred way but you can decide for something different.
The only thing I want is the ability to have personal clones which I
can easily update to the latest mainline state (from commandline of
course). That's the only reason why I want GitHub or Gitorious.

Cheers,

Jiri