[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun Aug 28 20:53:18 UTC 2011

Hi Frank,

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 07:48, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:56:52 +0200
> Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's not perfect - the branches aren't "glued" to the trunk in merge
>> points and the tags are squashed with the previous commits which I
>> don't like but it gives you an idea how a complete Geany's history
>> looks like.
>
> Is there a way to prevent from such things?

(First sorry for replying so late, I'm operating in semi-vacation mode
these days :)

I think using svn2git and then some manual adjusting the tags is the
best option. The scripts don't  don't do this automatically because in
svn tags aren't real tags - it's a copy of the trunk state but at the
same time you could in addition modify any file so for git it's
something like tag + commit combined.

So far I haven't seen any script automatically converting svn branch
merges into git merges - again, the information what branch was merged
where isn't stored by svn. So this information has to be provided
manually with the grafts file. You can read about the grafts file
here:

http://blog.woobling.org/2009/06/git-svn-abandon.html

Cheers,
Jiri