[Geany-devel] Git for plugins (was: Re: geany on github; why not?)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Thu Aug 25 05:27:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:56:52 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> About plugins - I'd like to see them converted to git too but for me
> it's much less important. Plugins are usually one-man-show and require
> much less cooperation than Geany itself and their authors already have
> SVN access.

Due the huge number of contributors at the plugins project and the,
well quiet often broken build, a more decentralized process would be
good for the plugins. We talked about this a couple of days ago inside
IRC and we came to that point, that it would be might useful to make
more usage of branches and only merge to trunk, when its apply correct
and build is not broken and some other points of policy is met -
Well I'm imagine a bit the Linux Kernel development model even of
course the plugins are not that big - not yet ;)
This could be done on svn its a bit a more complicated so maybe a git
(or brz, hg) would be useful here. But this is something for
post-21-plugins release.

Cheers,
Frank
--