[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Wed Aug 24 21:56:52 UTC 2011

Hi Lex,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 07:21, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Some mixed comments.
>
> @Jiri I would have thought that the process for creating the Git repo
> was to check the existing readonly mirror then move it to the chosen
> host and setup access.  Or do you know of some problem with it?

the disadvantage of using the current read-only mirror is the following:

1. It's not complete (just 3 years of history). Could be a problem if
you want to bisect some bug which has been present for a long time.
Apart from this it's just nice to see the complete history.

2. There are no tags visible.

3. There are no branches and branch merges visible.

Even though it takes some time, I think it's worth doing the initial
git repository setup properly because it's very hard to modify it
afterwards (all contributors would have to throw away their personal
clones). I think it's nice to see the complete history so you can see
when each release was made, checkout any previous commit and think of
the good old times when the individual commits were made.

You can get a (one-year-old) complete SVN export of Geany from here:

https://gitorious.org/geany/complete

It's not perfect - the branches aren't "glued" to the trunk in merge
points and the tags are squashed with the previous commits which I
don't like but it gives you an idea how a complete Geany's history
looks like.

About plugins - I'd like to see them converted to git too but for me
it's much less important. Plugins are usually one-man-show and require
much less cooperation than Geany itself and their authors already have
SVN access.

Cheers,

Jiri