[Geany-devel] msgwin line and column position

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Aug 24 06:44:35 UTC 2011

Hi Dimitar,

Just to throw a spanner in the works :-D

I ran into this problem today:

In a project with C++ and python parts I happened to do a make with a
Python file open, then all the c++ errors were not recognised.

In other words the standard Geany approach is only going to work for
one filetype at a time, fair enough, but maybe choosing the filetype
of the current file isn't appropriate sometimes, especially for make
operations that may mix filetypes.

I am not sure there is a simple solution.

The complex (well maybe not so complex, but verbose) solution is a
regex for each command.  Then knowing your makefile lets you concoct a
complex regex that supports more than one language. That also has the
advantage of allowing me to support more than one compiler, I am
starting to use clang as well as gcc for example.

There is no way I can think of to use the fallback
msgwin.c/parse_compiler_error_line() though, since it will only work
if it knows the filetype, and the only place it is going to get one of
those is the current document, but thats what is wrong!

Any thoughts?