[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Aug 23 09:15:53 UTC 2011

On 23 August 2011 18:47, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 11-08-22 10:21 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>
>> @All, what about plugins?
>>

> What about Git submodules?  IIUC we could have alongside the "official"
> `geany` repository, a `geany-plugins` repository which is the "superproject"
> of all our individual plugin repositories.  To quote the Git Book[1]:

Hey Matthew,

Did you read further down the page, "Pitfalls of submodules"?

I think that ATM there are too many ways inexperienced (with Git)
plugin devs can shoot themselves or the superproject in the foot.

> "Git's submodule support allows a repository to contain, as a subdirectory,
> a checkout of an external project. Submodules maintain their own identity;
> the submodule support just stores the submodule repository location and
> commit ID, so other developers who clone the containing project
> ("superproject") can easily clone all the submodules at the same revision.
> Partial checkouts of the superproject are possible: you can tell Git to
> clone none, some or all of the submodules."

Its the way to go in the future, but Git has to reduce the number of
potential ways of making a mistake for it to be safe in plugins where
there is a wide range of experience and (hopefully) more uninitiated
contributors coming all the time.  In this area the same goes for all
the other DVCSii that I know about, nested stuff just doesn't work
naturally.