[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Aug 23 08:47:50 UTC 2011

On 11-08-22 10:21 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi All,

> @All, what about plugins?

What about Git submodules?  IIUC we could have alongside the "official"
`geany` repository, a `geany-plugins` repository which is the
"superproject" of all our individual plugin repositories.  To quote the
Git Book[1]:

"Git's submodule support allows a repository to contain, as a
subdirectory, a checkout of an external project. Submodules maintain
their own identity; the submodule support just stores the submodule
repository location and commit ID, so other developers who clone the
containing project ("superproject") can easily clone all the submodules
at the same revision. Partial checkouts of the superproject are
possible: you can tell Git to clone none, some or all of the submodules."

This seems like the best way, if I do indeed understand how it works.
There's a tutorial for this here, that I haven't read thoroughly yet[2].

[1] http://book.git-scm.com/5_submodules.html
[2] http://woss.name/2008/04/09/using-git-submodules-to-track-plugins/