[Geany-devel] Per-filetype indentation settings

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Aug 23 05:11:05 UTC 2011

On 22 August 2011 22:57, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 22/08/2011 03:28, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Well, if the user haven't chosen auto-detection in the setting it's
>>> probably she don't want it.
>>
>> Well if uses autodetect which is in preferences only, it isn't
>> convenient to change it for an occasional document (and then go back
>> to preferences and change it back), thats what I meant for opening a
>> document that wasn't the "usual" setting.
>
> This means that *before* opening a document, the user knows she doesn't
> want her default settings nor knows what she wants exactly?

Which is why I suggested that putting it in the menu would be better.

>> But I agree that we probably should have a
>>> "reset indentation settings" or something in the document menu, which
>>> would basically call document_apply_indent_settings().
>>
>> No because that still depends on the preference, so the user still has
>> to go change the preference menu->reset it then go change the
>> preference back.  IMHO the menu should offer the user explicit
>> control, set spaces, set tabs, detect, set width, not depend on a
>> preference that the user has probably forgotten about :-)
>
> That makes sense, but I also think that if the user *changes* the
> indentation settings she probably don't need auto-detect since she
> probably knows what she wants.
> However it'd be easy to add "auto-detect" to indentation type and width
> selection menus -- though indentation width detection doesn't work for
> tabs-based indentation for now.

The autodetect entry is to provide a way to return it to autodected
values after I mucked it up by fiddling and can't remember where I
started :-)

> So, to summarize a little:
>
> 1) Add per-filetype indentation width and type;
>
> 2) When setting the filetype for the first time (file open and unpon
> initial manual filetype selection), use, in order:
>  a) auto-detect (if preferred)

or not new file (can't detect a non-existent file :-)

>  b) filetype setting
>  c) user global settings
>  d) system global settings
>
> 3) when changing the filetype for the second (or more) time, don't touch
> indentation settings.
>
> Sounds good?

Yep.