[Geany-devel] Use of Scintilla word boundaries for word searches

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sat Aug 20 13:11:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 09:33:29 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Shoudn't we have symbolchars for the current programming language
> > ([A-Za-z_] if unknown), and wordchars that match the current
> > locale? They don't have much in common.
>
> By wordchars we mean symbolchars, this confusion has existed from the
> beginnings of C at least, and we ain't gonna change it now. :-)

It never did, at least not for the countries where the latin letters
are not [the base of] alphabet.

> Locale/human language word ends are not as simple as sets of
> characters so lets not go there, we would need something like IIUC to
> do that.

Scintilla and regex use charsets, so we can't jump beyond that. Sorry,
Lex, I have to side with Colomban here: the (locale) word chars are
good for word searching, (symbol) word chars for tags, find usage etc.

> Maybe everything should use the filetype wordchars definition, with
> GEANY_WORDCHARS moved to filetypes.common as the default.

Now that would probably be the first editor which works with UTF-8,
but can't do locale word search. :)

--
E-gards: Jimmy