[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Aug 20 00:29:43 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I recently did a report for a client on DVCSes.  Net result was there
was a very slight tendency to mistakes with Git (mostly forgetting to
git add) but otherwise for normal use there was no material difference
between the tools themselves.  Nobody who is capable of developing
Geany is going to have any trouble with any of them.

On 20 August 2011 07:11, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:57:36 -0500
> Josh <joshua.rh at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> @Lex: That makes sense.  After this weekend I'll still have time, but
>> it'll be more sparse.  I'd like to be a part of it; so let me know what
>> we/I need to do to get this going.  Thanks!
>
> 1st step: We need to check for points the new system needs to offer
> (just because github is cool at the moment, I would have a bad feeling
> if we don't think about what we need before doing anything) and which
> system might could solve them.
> There is at least github, gitourios and google code if we just have a
> view onto git. There are also a couple of services offering hg or bzr
> which are pretty similar to git. So pretty much I'm looking for a
> specification sheet with possible matches for solution. I suggest to
> collect this inside the wiki.

@Frank,  the biggest part of the cost of changing is deciding and
implementing processes around the new tools.  This needs to be
investigated *before* any decision on a tool so swap steps 2. and 3.
below.

@Matthew, you seem to be up with ways of using the tools, so maybe you
can start a wiki page documenting how you see the process working,
noting how to handle conflicts between personal branches, still
handling patches, integration of things like nightly builds etc.
Pretty much anything you write for Git will work with the other two.

As to providers, Hg is available from Google and SF, and now Google
offers git as well so thats four for git.  Bazaar seems to be SF and
Canonical only.

@Enrico & Colomban, when doing the next release what about adding to
the page how it would work with a different VCS based on Matthews
data, and also how nightly builds and tarballs would work, including
with windows.  In the end Colomban is the one who has the most to do
with it.