[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Fri Aug 19 22:28:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:08:16 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 08/19/2011 02:11 PM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:57:36 -0500
> > Josh<joshua.rh at comcast.net>  wrote:
> >
> >> @Lex: That makes sense.  After this weekend I'll still have time, but
> >> it'll be more sparse.  I'd like to be a part of it; so let me know what
> >> we/I need to do to get this going.  Thanks!
> >
> > 1st step: We need to check for points the new system needs to offer
> > (just because github is cool at the moment, I would have a bad feeling
> > if we don't think about what we need before doing anything) and which
> > system might could solve them.
>
> According to the long drawn-out discussions we've had for some time on
> this topic, I felt the overwhelming opinion was to use Git for version
> control.  As for your concerns about GitHub, it's important to remember
> that it's just a server to host one of the repositories.  They could go
> offline a week after switching and we would still have all of our code
> and history.  The main reasons people are mentioning GitHub is because
> it's extremely popular, developer friendly, and a lot of open source
> projects are hosting their code there.
>
> > There is at least github, gitourios and google code if we just have a
>
> Nope, I think it's just GitHub and Gitorious if we want
> contributor-friendly Git project hosting.  I don't think Google Projects
> does Git at all.

I understand this. But, and maybe I'm a bit to demanding here, I would
really like to see some clean collection at which somebody really
thought about this. I was seeing to many things on FLOSS and related
projects, where some decision was made by some feeling from mailinglist
and at the end nobody felt responsible or nobody remembering the
reasons. I want to prevent this at a point where we do have a chance
to.

> > view onto git. There are also a couple of services offering hg or bzr
>
> Except most of the developers don't already know and use Mercurial or
> Bazaar as much Git (I think).

The basic feeling is the same in terms of commit, push and pull. They
are all dvcs. ;)

> > which are pretty similar to git. So pretty much I'm looking for a
> > specification sheet with possible matches for solution. I suggest to
> > collect this inside the wiki.
> >

> We could do this, but it's just more "beating around the bush".  We
> already did have long discussions about this in multiple threads and I
> think everyone who would like to contribute (besides yourself?), at
> least those who have spoken up, would prefer Git and a better project
> site.  How much more discussion is needed?
>
> IMO, the only remaining questions are:
>
> 1) GitHub or Gitorious or Other (maybe a poll needed?)
> 2) When (maybe after next release)
> 3) Does anyone actually like or want to keep using SVN/SourceForge/the
> current development process?

I don't want to impolite so I'm just asking for two things to
everybody: 1.) Who likes to take over responsibility? (yepp, I really
asking for a project manager here) 2.) Can you please careful clean the
facts and put them together as I suggested (was demanding ;) ) in one
of my previous postings. At the end, this needs to be done anyway (and
you are right. Making the long discussions on mailing list short it
really was a huge pro for some git based solution and the next open
question would be were to host) - but I really like to have a clean
documentation of facts ;)

Cheers,
Frank

P.S. And yes, I still don't see any good reasons for a change as the
issues we currently are experiencing, e.g. low an resources for code
review will not be solved by any VCS IMHO. I might be wrong, but these
are my thoughts.
It just doesn't matter how patches are coming in, we need people
reviewing them and applying them to main tree. We need people taking
care on special parts of Geany as the libsm stuff and other open points
and we need less novelistic discussion on mailing list but good usage
of wiki. But these are just my 2ct.
--
Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>