[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Aug 19 11:47:00 UTC 2011

On 19 August 2011 15:23, Josh <joshua.rh at comcast.net> wrote:
> The subject says it all; why shouldn't we move geany to github?  I'm
> willing to help with the migration, especially this weekend.  I'd also
> like to note that we could continue to use svn
> (https://github.com/blog/626-announcing-svn-support and
> https://github.com/blog/644-subversion-write-support) if we'd like, but
> we'd get plenty of features for free.  Like I said I'd like to help get
> this going, so if we all agree, let's do this!

Hi Josh,

While I think its inevitable that Geany will move to a distributed VCS
and your offer of help is appreciated, there are a couple of things I
would like to note.

1. Asking one day before just isn't going to work for a community
project.  Now I don't know what I am doing from one day to the next,
so I appreciate that you also may not have much warning of impending
free time. :-)

2. Geany has just announced the timetable for the next release, with
string freeze in just a few weeks, thats not the time for major
changes of process.

3. There needs to be a plan for how all the processes would be
integrated with the new VCS, website changes, changelog processes,
nightly build integration, translation processes etc.

So if you want to start addressing those it would help in moving the
process forward.