[Geany-devel] Plugin Version control (explained?)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Thu Aug 18 06:51:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:38:49 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 08/17/2011 12:26 PM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:34:11 -0700
> > Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:
>

> >> IMO, it's quite useful/important that each function/member's
> >> doc-comments be annotated with the API version number as well, as
> >> has been discussed.  This would let developers reading the API
> >> docs know *exactly* which API version they should check against to
> >> use a certain thing, even between releases.
> >
> > I disagree on the between releases point. Plugin developers are
> > asked to develop against latest stable release of Geany. If they
> > need something more recent, they know what they are doing.
> >

> I never heard this advice before, but I guess it's good advice.
> Though I still think from a user's point of view, the wider range of
> Geany versions supported by a plugin, the better.

I agree at this point. The only way currently is to use older API
calls. Most of the new functions do already have a since entry, e.g.
since 0.16. If you chose 0.19 and below it will work for 0.19 and 0.20.
Burt as of the ABI change you will need to recompile it. Reasons for
this have been discussed elsewhere.

Cheers,
Frank
--