[Geany-devel] Plugin Version control (explained?)

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Aug 17 19:38:49 UTC 2011

On 08/17/2011 12:26 PM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:34:11 -0700
> Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:

>> IMO, it's quite useful/important that each function/member's
>> doc-comments be annotated with the API version number as well, as has
>> been discussed.  This would let developers reading the API docs know
>> *exactly* which API version they should check against to use a
>> certain thing, even between releases.
>
> I disagree on the between releases point. Plugin developers are asked
> to develop against latest stable release of Geany. If they need
> something more recent, they know what they are doing.

I never heard this advice before, but I guess it's good advice.  Though
I still think from a user's point of view, the wider range of Geany
versions supported by a plugin, the better.

> My suggestion is to add this information with next API extensions. If
> somebody likes to dig into source history and check, which API version
> which API call is needed, I'm also fine with ;)

Agreed, going forward, it would be nice to document new extensions, but
actually digging out this information after the fact is way too much work.