[Geany-devel] Adding a list of filetypes into devel documentation?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Wed Aug 17 06:38:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:19:35 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> I probably don't understand the topic enough, but to me, it would be
> cool to say:
>
> 	PLUGIN_VERSION_CHECK(0, 20, 42)
>
> To mean: "This plugin will only work on the 42nd API change since the
> 0.20 release or later".

This will end up in a real mass and will cause some unneeded
maintenance effort on plugin side. So e.g. would be a (0, 21, 45)
something like (0, 20, 87)? You got the point?

> And the Doxygen comments for an API function
> could look like:
>
> 	/**
> 	 * Does something to foo with bar.
> 	 * @since 0.20.42
> 	 */
> 	void baz(int foo, int bar);
>
> Or at least something along these lines, so that it relates to
> release version numbers of Geany.  Would be great to then get a macro
> like GLib/GTK has:
>
> 	#if GEANY_VERSION_CHECK(0, 20, 42)
> 		baz(1, 2);
> 	#else
> 		/* Do nothing on older APIs */
> 	#endif
>
> Just some thoughts, I have no idea if it's realistic.

I disagree. I'm fine to put some information about API revision inside
documentation also, but I don't see any need to check for Geany version
inside a plugin. Goal of plugin development is to work with certain
Geany versions and upcoming ones. (There might be some special case,
but in general). I vote to keep the normal incremental API number as
this is enough for a plugin author to know. Only the API version per
release could be a nice information.

Cheers,
Frank
--