[Geany-devel] msgwin line and column position

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Aug 16 18:11:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:19:26 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway if Dimitar wants to decode the column numbers in
> msgwin_parse_compiler_error_line() and use them to set the cursor
> thats fine, so long as column number is optional.

Well you can always specify a two-match regular expression, such as
"([^:]+):([0-9]+)" or "([^:]+):([0-9]+)[^A-Za-z]" for c++, and that
will surely drop the column #, without the need for a special option.

> Personally I wouldn't bother to add column numbers to the fallback
> msgwindow.c/parse_compiler_error().

Why not? There is only a single error_regex defined in the default
configuration, everything else goes to the default parsing.

--

So here is the Compiler tab patch. Seeking to the exact column was a
very nice extra when compiling Geany, even if I say so myself. :)

navqueue_goto_line[_col]() are written this way to preserve
compatibility, since there may be a release in September. For the same
reason, the Messages tab will have to wait.

Now the two questions, mentioned in navqueue.c:

How about supporting line number 0? process_build_output_line() does,
and I, too, remember some old compilers emiting line 0.

How about leaving navqueue_goto_line_col() on pos == -1? According to
Scintilla docs, it means that line - 1 is greater than the number of
lines, and that's a wrong line # IMHO.

--
E-gards: Jimmy