[Geany-devel] Adding a list of filetypes into devel documentation?

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at xxxxx
Tue Aug 16 13:04:39 UTC 2011

On 16/08/2011 21:01, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On 16/08/2011 20:03, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>>

>> Correct. ABI changes do need a recompilation. API changes need nothing.
>>
>> Sometimes both the API and ABI "break", and then you need changes in the source
>> and of course a recompilation.
>>
>> Extending a structure is ABI breakage if its size changes and the size is
>> exposed (i.e. struct_ptr++ has a different effect in Geany and the plugin).
>> That's why some projects pad structures to make extensions not change the size.
>
> Doesn't an API change need a code change as well? For example, if you changed
> the number of arguments a function took.. AFAIK that's both API and ABI breakage.

Sorry, I didn't read the second paragraph properly. I don't really see what kind
of change a purely API change (without changing ABI) would be, though.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin