[Geany-devel] Adding a list of filetypes into devel documentation?

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Aug 16 12:03:23 UTC 2011

Am 16.08.2011 09:39, schrieb Frank Lanitz:

>> IIRC the theory is that ABI
>> changes don't require unchanged plugins to be recompiled (for example
>> if a structure is extended) but API changes require at least
>> recompile.  But I am not sure it is working that way though?
> No. ABI changes need a recompilation while API don't necessary do.

Correct. ABI changes do need a recompilation. API changes need nothing.

Sometimes both the API and ABI "break", and then you need changes in the
source and of course a recompilation.

Extending a structure is ABI breakage if its size changes and the size
is exposed (i.e. struct_ptr++ has a different effect in Geany and the
plugin). That's why some projects pad structures to make extensions not
change the size.

Best regards.