[Geany-devel] Adding a list of filetypes into devel documentation?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Aug 15 22:45:28 UTC 2011

> If I get some time, I could try and do this.  Is anybody opposed to putting
> the API docs in reStructuredText files and generating the API docs using
> Sphinx?  I've been using this for the Python bindings and it's quite nice
> and easy, and there's support for C domain as well.

I personally don't care, but being cautious, can you provide a C example?

As we said in another thread there probably needs to be discussion on
what is exposed of the Geany internal design, otherwise exposing it
will freeze the design or cause plugin breakage (more than just
re-compile) every time the Geany internals change.

The second option isn't unual, for example the Linux kernal driver interface.

Perhaps the call should go out to plugin developers, in general do
they mind the disruption in return for more access to Geany
capabilities?

>>> Another thing that would be really helpful is to add something to the
>>> doxygen comments like '@since' and to put the plugin API number when
>>> that function/member/struct became available.
>>
>> I'm not sure about. The most interesting number is die Geany main
>> version as you want to build something up to recent Geany version.
>> However, I do understand your suggestion with API number and IIRC we
>> had something like this under discussion earlier.

Providing this information will allow plugin developers to make their
plugin adapt somewhat to which Geany it is being compiled against.

How would you show API and ABI info?  IIRC the theory is that ABI
changes don't require unchanged plugins to be recompiled (for example
if a structure is extended) but API changes require at least
recompile.  But I am not sure it is working that way though?