[Geany-devel] msgwin line and column position [was: Expose yellow wavy line in GeanyIndicators]

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Aug 14 16:53:48 UTC 2011

Le 14/08/2011 10:12, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> [...]
>>> Yes, I was thinking of (ab)using the colour markings for this purpose,
>>> but we have already had problems with non-gnu grep, so maybe leave
>>> this until later.
>>
>> Perhaps just include gnu grep with geany if we're in fact depend on it?
>
> IIRC the problem was to make sure it *didn't* depend on GNU grep only
> options or behavior.

It's IMHO important not to depend on GNU grep, AFAIK even BSDs will not
have it, at least by default (though maybe the implement some of the GNU
grep's features, don't know).

> [...]
>>> Erm... looks easy? which compiler are you using that gives a column
>>> position?
>>>
>>> GCC just gives a line number vaguely in the region that it sorta
>>> guesses is the error ;-D
>>>

>> My gcc gives columns as well:
>> test.c: In function ‘main’:
>> test.c:13:2: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before
>> ‘return’
>>
>> Perhaps a more recent feature.
>>

> I'm using 4.4.3 (Ubuntu LTS version).  The same error does not have a
> column number, only missing #includes do and they have a column no
> beyond the end of the line??
> So could be a newer feature or is it an option?

-fshow-column

> And I still claim that (at least for C++) the line number is only
> approximate anyway :-)

For C it's pretty relevant :)