[Geany-devel] msgwin line and column position [was: Expose yellow wavy line in GeanyIndicators]

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Aug 14 08:12:43 UTC 2011

[...]
>> Yes, I was thinking of (ab)using the colour markings for this purpose,
>> but we have already had problems with non-gnu grep, so maybe leave
>> this until later.
>
> Perhaps just include gnu grep with geany if we're in fact depend on it?

IIRC the problem was to make sure it *didn't* depend on GNU grep only
options or behavior.

[...]
>> Erm... looks easy? which compiler are you using that gives a column
>> position?
>>
>> GCC just gives a line number vaguely in the region that it sorta
>> guesses is the error ;-D
>>

> My gcc gives columns as well:
> test.c: In function ‘main’:
> test.c:13:2: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before
> ‘return’
>
> Perhaps a more recent feature.

I'm using 4.4.3 (Ubuntu LTS version).  The same error does not have a
column number, only missing #includes do and they have a column no
beyond the end of the line??
So could be a newer feature or is it an option?

And I still claim that (at least for C++) the line number is only
approximate anyway :-)