[Geany-devel] msgwin line and column position [was: Expose yellow wavy line in GeanyIndicators]

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Sun Aug 14 07:34:12 UTC 2011

Am 14.08.2011 06:27, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> [..]
>>> FIF will have to ask grep to mark the match(s) on the line and parse
>>> them for character positions to be selected
>> That can be a bit tricky. -o -b returns what we need, but the normal
>> output is be lost, while --color=always will do, but the parsing is a
>> bit more complex, and we should invoke grep with a GREP_COLORS prefix.
>> Both assume GNU grep, of course.
> Yes, I was thinking of (ab)using the colour markings for this purpose,
> but we have already had problems with non-gnu grep, so maybe leave
> this until later.

Perhaps just include gnu grep with geany if we're in fact depend on it?

>>> What I meant is that focusing the window is not much use if the cursor
>>> position is going to be start of line, since I have to click in the
>>> window anyway to position the cursor (unless it happens that I want
>>> something close to the start). [...]
>> I get it now. FIF / Find Usage will certainly be better with line and
>> column positioning, including Enter / double-click. Maybe implement that
>> for the Compiler tab first? Looks easy, once I find where is the default
>> error_regex. Huh.
>>
> Erm... looks easy? which compiler are you using that gives a column position?
>
> GCC just gives a line number vaguely in the region that it sorta
> guesses is the error ;-D

My gcc gives columns as well:
test.c: In function ‘main’:
test.c:13:2: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’
before ‘return’

Perhaps a more recent feature.