[Geany-devel] msgwin line and column position [was: Expose yellow wavy line in GeanyIndicators]

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Aug 14 04:27:10 UTC 2011

[..]
>> FIF will have to ask grep to mark the match(s) on the line and parse
>> them for character positions to be selected
>
> That can be a bit tricky. -o -b returns what we need, but the normal
> output is be lost, while --color=always will do, but the parsing is a
> bit more complex, and we should invoke grep with a GREP_COLORS prefix.
> Both assume GNU grep, of course.

Yes, I was thinking of (ab)using the colour markings for this purpose,
but we have already had problems with non-gnu grep, so maybe leave
this until later.

>> What I meant is that focusing the window is not much use if the cursor
>> position is going to be start of line, since I have to click in the
>> window anyway to position the cursor (unless it happens that I want
>> something close to the start). [...]
>
> I get it now. FIF / Find Usage will certainly be better with line and
> column positioning, including Enter / double-click. Maybe implement that
> for the Compiler tab first? Looks easy, once I find where is the default
> error_regex. Huh.

Erm... looks easy? which compiler are you using that gives a column position?

GCC just gives a line number vaguely in the region that it sorta
guesses is the error ;-D