[Geany-devel] msgwin line and column position [was: Expose yellow wavy line in GeanyIndicators]

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sat Aug 13 13:35:32 UTC 2011

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:13:19 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> 1. Selecting the text makes it work like normal find and
> >
> > Select the entire line?.. FIF / Find usage operate on lines, not words.
>
> Find usage knows the character position and size of the match, it just
> has to save it to be selected

Yes... My mistake.

> FIF will have to ask grep to mark the match(s) on the line and parse
> them for character positions to be selected

That can be a bit tricky. -o -b returns what we need, but the normal
output is be lost, while --color=always will do, but the parsing is a
bit more complex, and we should invoke grep with a GREP_COLORS prefix.
Both assume GNU grep, of course.

> What I meant is that focusing the window is not much use if the cursor
> position is going to be start of line, since I have to click in the
> window anyway to position the cursor (unless it happens that I want
> something close to the start). [...]

I get it now. FIF / Find Usage will certainly be better with line and
column positioning, including Enter / double-click. Maybe implement that
for the Compiler tab first? Looks easy, once I find where is the default
error_regex. Huh.

--
E-gards: Jimmy