[Geany-devel] Me, Geany and the future

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu Aug 11 13:49:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:38:24 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> Well, well, well... I thought a bit about it, and I think I'll accept
> the position if others do.  The problem for me is that, ATM, I don't
> have great plans for Geany's future -- meaning I don't know what I think
> should be added, changed or greatly improved in Geany in the near future.

Neigter do I. Enrico leaves us a great light IDE, and while there is
room for improvement (x11 sm, locale names etc.), I don't see the next
Big Thing.

OTOH, there are hundreds of open tracker items - enough for many months.

> And I can, as some later in the thread seems to suggest, take the role
> of accepting patches, review them, commenting, committing etc.  If we
> adopt a pull-base workflow, it should be "easy" for me to do so -- well,
> don't talk to Dimitar about my reviews, right? :D

Why not? :) I had to rewrite the various-prefs twice, with your help
and suggestions, and am confident it was for the best.

> So if my role as maintainer/leader can be mostly this, plus of course
> discussing on the ML, trying to read (most of) the threads, etc., I'll
> accept it.

Please do.

> (I always think I'll forgot something important when I do a release.)

Same here, for a project I maintain from 10 years. :) And there were 2
small mistakes in one of the latest releases.

> I have by no means a great Scintilla knowledge.

I have read some of the Scintilla/SciTE sources, but unfortunately
almost nothing about the lexers, and it seems most of the requests are
there.

BTW, since Nick is (or will be) also gone, feel free to redirect any
stash questions to me. We have a similar mid-tier in some of our
company products.

--
E-gards: Jimmy