[Geany-devel] Me, Geany and the future

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Aug 9 20:27:12 UTC 2011

On 08/09/11 11:38, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> as you certainly noticed, I didn't do any development nor replying
> mails regarding Geany. This is mostly because I tend to spend my spare
> time on other things (more offline activities and such).
> While this is good for me (:D), it sucks for the project and its
> further development.

:(

> So?
>
> I'd like to find a new project maintainer who keeps the development
> going on, coordinate the project with the community, reviews patches,
> makes releases and so on.
> The first candidate is of course Colomban if he wants. Though, I don't

I second the nomination of Colomban, assuming he's willing/interested.
It definitively takes someone with the eye for perfection and great
knowledge to handle this.

> mind much who wants to continue the project. The only thing I wish is
> that it is continued with the original spirit in mind: keeping Geany
> itself quite small, fast and simple as it has been in the past years.
> We don't need to clone Eclipse :D.

+1

> Any volunteers for this should now raise their voice!

I would like to volunteer as a normal developer/committer, but not as
the lead/maintainer.  I can also help with investigating and managing
bugs and so forth.  However, as I've made it known previously, I think
it would be *really* helpful for current and future development of Geany
to move towards the simpler and more accessible GitHub/Git combination.

> I'm afraid especially for the Windows builds some assistance is
> necessary as before, I always made the Windows builds on my own and
> never documented what's necessary and how this is done (shame on me).

I would also volunteer for this, if no one else more qualified steps up.
  I've built Geany a few times on Windows and I do still have access to
Win7 on my laptop.  Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar, as you
mentioned, with the process used by Geany for packaging the Windows
build (installer, bundled GTK+, etc).