[Geany-devel] GObject, new plugin interface .... & Vala bindings

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Sat Apr 30 11:36:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 19:19:00 +0200
Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

> Am 29.04.2011 19:12, schrieb Nick Treleaven:
> >
> > I think this is great. It might be doable to maintain this with Geany's
> > API when ready. This would be a big leap forward for plugin writers,
> > and little/no impact on the existing API.
> >

> Will Geany's API ever be ready? I doubt so, especially at this
> development rate.

I was talking about the Vala API being ready. Maybe it is already.

> > Just to add my point of view:
> >
> > 1. I think this would be very disruptive to both Geany's core and
> > existing plugins. I also really don't like GObject code in C.
>
> Wasn't the idea to implement the GObject interface one by one,
> maintaining the current one in the meantime (and a bit after)? You can
> also always do compatibility magic with cpp or some sort. I don't see it
> disruptive for plugin writers.
>
> > 2. Would it actually work? Geany is not a shared library, so this
> > might cause problems for dynamic language bindings. Until this and
> > perhaps other issues are dealt with, we should not start on using
> > GObject IMO. (To prove dynamic bindings would be possible, a minimal
> > binding for the current API could be made).
>
> It works for all other the programs (e.g. gedit) too, doesn't it?
>

> I don't hope you just killed all hope with your mail, we basically
> already agreed this would be a nice thing to have, no?

I was just adding my thoughts. At the time I was too busy to read the
list so didn't contribute. Obviously I'm not going to override everyone
else, and there may be solutions to the issues I see.

Regards,
Nick