[Geany-devel] Set Filetypes Menu

Randy Kramer rhkramer at xxxxx
Fri Apr 29 10:16:52 UTC 2011

On Friday 29 April 2011 12:26:35 am Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hey Matthew,
> > - I believe LaTex, Markdown, and reStructuredText are Markup
> > Languages.

Is there a (scintilla) lexer for reStructuredText?  With a quick look at
lexer names, I didn't see one.

With that same quick look, I came across the lexer LexTxt2tags.cxx and
looked at that a little--it looks like some of the stuff there is (or
could be easily adaptable for my lexer for Foswiki / TWiki.  What is
that lexer for--is there a markup language named Txt2tags?

Oh, ok, I googled, yes there is, and I guess I'll spend a little time (a
few minutes) looking at that.  (For Lex: it will save me from thinking
about lexing UTF-8, recursive descent parsers, switch / case
statements, and if / else chains ;-)

> > - I don't know COBOL but I think it's a programming language isn't
> > it?
>
> Well, it was in the 1970s, but I do remember someone asking about it
> recently so it must be still used.

Actually, it was also in the 1950s.  Or, at least, the first
specification was completed in December, 1959, and it is still used, a
lot--there is a lot of legacy code out there.  But not (used) by
me! ;-)

And, just for the record, no, I'm not that old.  I'm actually the same
age as Jack Benny.  (Should I explain the joke / humor?  Jack Benny was
a comedian who, whenever he was asked his age, claimed to be 29.)

Randy Kramer