[Geany-devel] Git Switch (again)

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Thu Apr 28 21:43:39 UTC 2011

Hi Matthew,

you couldn't express my feelings better.

http://live.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog

>>> - Proper attribution, blame and history for contributors and not having
>>> put "Thanks" in all the commit messages.
>>
>> Still needed as above.
>
> There would be no need to use "Thanks" in each commit message, since the
> author of the commit is the person who wrote the code in it, for example[2]
> where I just sent Neil a properly formatted patch of my local commit and he
> applied it directly, keeping the history in tact.  If it needed fixing to
> get added into the main code, this will also be reflected in the history by
> the next commits to fix it (and I believe the original thread says another
> way to do this), so no need for "Based on patch by ..." in any commit
> messages either.

Just for completeness, sometimes the patch needs to be modified by the
maintainer but in these cases it's better to have 2 commits - one
containing the original patch and one with the maintainer's changes
(especially when the modification actually screws up the original
patch).

> If you were maybe referring to the THANKS file, I would imagine that could
> be generated automatically as well from the log.

>From my experience this doesn't work so well because people sometimes
send patches from different email addresses. But the THANKS file
update can be done just before making a release and it's not the
hardest thing to do.

>>> - Built-in Wiki software
>>
>> That could be useful to take some load off Enrico and his servers,
>> currently the project still depends heavily on his resources.
>
> That was my thought.
>
>> Does your somescript mean that both sites could work for an interim
>> period with the old one being deprecated for later removal?
>
> I believe so, yes.  I'm no expert on these things, but I guess there must be
> some way to mirror either the SVN to Git or vice versa by using some hooks
> or something.  Another way probably is using git-svn and dcommit to SVN and
> then push them to Git.  Google turns up this[3], amongst others.

Geany already updates its official git mirror (http://git.geany.org)
from SVN so this works and synchronization between git repositories is
a matter of setting up a post-receive hook.

One more idea - even if the core developers don't want the switch, at
least the current geany git repository could be set up to push changes
to github so people who want to use git have an up-to-date mirror from
which they can clone and create their personal branches.

Cheers,

Jiri