[Geany-devel] GProject - missing Geany patches

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Thu Apr 28 21:01:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 19:52, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 28/04/2011 02:06, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>>> I understand that if your plugin makes use of some file patterns, it
>>> then makes sense to show them in the FIF dialog. But Geany don't use
>>> project patterns, and adding such patters to projects seems useless to
>>> me since their only usage is to show them in the FIF dialog... but IMHO
>>> they don't make much sense since they don't mean anything more than an
>>> arbitrary set of patterns stored with the project files (we have pattern
>>> history, isn't that sufficient here?).
>>>
>>> So maybe there are good reason, but couldn't simply your plugin provide
>>> the functionality? (though showing them in FIF dialog would probably not
>>> be possible ATM)
>>
>> IIRC Jiri's plugin makes *heavy* use of file patterns, so showing them
>> in FIF is important to giving the user an integrated experience, it
>> wouldn't be good if the plugin provided another FIF system.
>>
>> As you say a patch is needed to allow that.  Storing them in the
>> existing project file was IIIRC a way of getting them to appear in the
>> recent list for FIF.
>
> Well, we already have history to the pattern list anyway (AFAIK?)... and
> maybe something like fif_set_file_filter() or whatever would be just fine?

Actually this is how it was originally implemented but (if I remember
correctly) then someone on the mailing list suggested the way it's
implemented now and I prefer the current implementation at the moment.

Jiri