[Geany-devel] GObject, new plugin interface ....

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Thu Apr 28 12:54:18 UTC 2011

Am 28.04.2011 09:32, schrieb Matthew Brush:
> On 04/28/11 00:01, Frank Lanitz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 12.03.2011 19:11, schrieb Frank Lanitz:
>>> During the last weeks a huge number mails at this list was stating to
>>> make usage of GObject on building up a new plugin interface. It has been
>>> talked about libpeas and adding support for Vala, Python etc. Before we
>>> do discuss any further I'd like to point to an email Enrico sent
>>> earlier this year onto this list:
>>>
>>> http://lists.uvena.de/geany-devel/2011-February/003905.html
>>>
>>> Originally Geany wasn't designed/coded to work with GObject. Moving to
>>> an plugin interface using this would most likely cause rewriting of a
>>> lot of code. However, if really somebody of you like to go this
>>> further I suggest to start a new branch where all changes can be
>>> tracked in.
>>> But before we can discuss about the positive/negativ points I just
>>> want to ask who likes to take over this task as a kind of lead
>>> engineer and project manager to be the lead here having in mind it will
>>> most likely not a 5-minute-task?
>>
>> What's the outcome here? I saw a lot of technical discussion followed up
>> by my original posting but nobody took over the rule to bring all the
>> idea into synch. Not sure whether I might did miss something.
>
> I had offered to work on this, but I wanted to make sure someone would
> be willing to review/commit all the changes, the responses were:
>
>  From Lex:
> "I currently have a looong commute where I can't actually code or
> compile or test things (my tablet is just not suited), but I can
> review and discuss things by the magic of wifi."
>
>  From Colomban:
> "However, even though I like the idea of creating this new plugin API
> supporting other languages, I will not tell I'll help a lot because I'm
> really not sure of the amount of time I could spend on it. However, I'd
> be happy to help from time to time, when I can :)"
>
> In another thread from you:
> "And as I mentioned according to plugin interface discussion, I like to
> have it this way for enabling GObject fun: I want to have someone with
> experince managing this kind of stuff."
>
> Nothing from Enrico, Nick or other core developers with commit access.
> So I pretty much decided I would be wasting my time on this if the code
> won't get committed and the core developers aren't even very much
> interested in this.

I think we had an agreement that we can develop it inside a new branch
(where of course you can commit) and once its stable its getting merged
into trunk.

If everybody is fine with it I'd suggest to give Matthew commit rights
for new branch to build up the GObject plugin interface as some kind of
project leader.

Cheers,
Frank