[Geany-devel] Git Switch (again)

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Apr 28 05:01:47 UTC 2011

On 04/27/11 21:01, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> - No need to maintain changelog and authors files
>
> Changelog and authors are still needed for tarballs, but maybe they
> can be automated?

Seems not too hard with git log and some shell script[1].  I think the
original thread also mentions a way (or that it's possible).

>> - Proper attribution, blame and history for contributors and not having to
>> put "Thanks" in all the commit messages.
>
> Still needed as above.

There would be no need to use "Thanks" in each commit message, since the
author of the commit is the person who wrote the code in it, for
example[2] where I just sent Neil a properly formatted patch of my local
commit and he applied it directly, keeping the history in tact.  If it
needed fixing to get added into the main code, this will also be
reflected in the history by the next commits to fix it (and I believe
the original thread says another way to do this), so no need for "Based
on patch by ..." in any commit messages either.

If you were maybe referring to the THANKS file, I would imagine that
could be generated automatically as well from the log.

>> - Built-in Wiki software
>
> That could be useful to take some load off Enrico and his servers,
> currently the project still depends heavily on his resources.

That was my thought.

> Does your somescript mean that both sites could work for an interim
> period with the old one being deprecated for later removal?

I believe so, yes.  I'm no expert on these things, but I guess there
must be some way to mirror either the SVN to Git or vice versa by using
some hooks or something.  Another way probably is using git-svn and
dcommit to SVN and then push them to Git.  Google turns up this[3],
amongst others.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog
[2]
http://scintilla.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/scintilla/scintilla/rev/874b84aa77b3