[Geany-devel] GProject - missing Geany patches

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Apr 27 23:49:24 UTC 2011

Le 10/04/2011 15:03, Jiří Techet a écrit :
> Hi,

Hi,

> first sorry for disappearing for such a long time - I didn't have much
> free time left in the past months and from the time I had I dedicated
> most of it to the libchamplain library I maintain to make some bigger
> changes and adapt it to GTK 3 in time for Gnome 3. The good news is
> that I didn't convert to Eclipse or Emacs meanwhile ;-).
>
> There are still quite many patches I have against geany in my
> repository and I'd like to have at least part of them merged so I
> don't have to maintain my own geany branch. So at the moment the
> highest-priority patches for me are those which are necessary in order
> to make GProject working so it can become one of official geany
> plugins. The patches can be found at usual place:
>
> https://gitorious.org/~techy/geany/gproject-geany
>
> under the for_review4 branch. Only the first three of them are needed
> for GProject so they should have the highest priority when reviewing:
>
> 4774306b7f65237ef75b01e8d6c8312dcc5c526e Make project patterns visible

The patch looks reasonable (read ahead), though the UI is wrongly
packed, and should better use a GtkEntry now it's single-lined. I fixed
this.

> 57b4120f94e611e8143fba89e397588de8693ec3 Use project patterns in the FIF dialog

Why not. Though, pattern matching don't work when not searching in
subdirs (this isn't a flaw of your patch, the same happens currently,
need to fix this).

However, I'm not sure to understand why this functionality is this
important for you and your plugin?

I understand that if your plugin makes use of some file patterns, it
then makes sense to show them in the FIF dialog. But Geany don't use
project patterns, and adding such patters to projects seems useless to
me since their only usage is to show them in the FIF dialog... but IMHO
they don't make much sense since they don't mean anything more than an
arbitrary set of patterns stored with the project files (we have pattern
history, isn't that sufficient here?).

So maybe there are good reason, but couldn't simply your plugin provide
the functionality? (though showing them in FIF dialog would probably not
be possible ATM)

> 2edb068b81cb6d541d667efecd0ec4c346f0df51 Open the file in the
> msgwindow even if no linenumber is specified

I'll review this one later (tomorrow if it goes right).

Cheers,
Colomban