[Geany-devel] GProject - missing Geany patches

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Wed Apr 27 17:29:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:58:09 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> >> more than two weeks have passed without any response and I fear it
> >> will end the same way as many times before [...]
> >
> > Not an exception, the X session management is 9 months old too.
> > Perhaps we should create a geany-patches project or something?..
>
> It seems to me that the whole problem could be (dis)solved using (for
> example) GitHub since you can just fork the main repository, hack hack
> hack, and send a pull request/patch, [...]

It won't work automagically. When unreviewed for some time, which is
the current situation, the patches become obsolete. For example, the
recent utils_build_path() broke the xsm once when introduced, and a
second time when the returned string became non-static.

> [...] so people wanting these features before the developers get time
> to review  them, can see all of these requests in the queue and know
> they are coming or are available through the forked repositories.

Git will be some improvement, indeed, but I'm a bit afraid of repeating
the NEdit situation: instead of busying themselfs with the long patches,
the devs simply tell everyone "all extras are there, take whatever you
want at your own risk". I know how this ends.

--
E-gards: Jimmy