[Geany-devel] GProject - missing Geany patches

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Tue Apr 26 21:25:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 14:30, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 04/26/11 02:18, Jiří Techet wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 15:03, Jiří Techet<techet at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> more than two weeks have passed without any response and I fear it
>> will end the same way as many times before - that I post my patches,
>> nobody looks at them and they get forgotten. I fully understand that
>> people have limited time to work on geany (so do I), the problem is
>> that most of the patches are 9 months old and they haven't been
>> reviewed so far.
>
> I think in addition to time constraints, the limited number of committers
> means that there's basically only 3 people who can/will review patches and
> commit the changes to the core code.
>

>> Of course I understand that you may not want to have some patches
>> merged to geany - just tell me and I'll either remove or rework them.
>> I'd just like to get some sort of feedback - positive or negative.
>
> Heh. I almost sent an identical sentence in a message to the ML a week ago,
> but then just decided to focus my (limited) development time elsewhere.
>

>> Please let me know if there's anything I can help with to get the
>> patches reviewed. Or, if you don't want my patches at all for some
>> reason, please tell me as well so I stop spamming the mailing list
>> with them.
>
> My only suggestions, as someone without commit access, who is outside of the
> core developers, but who has submitted some patches are to file bug/feature
> reports on SourceForge so at least your patches won't get buried over time
> in the archives.  I can't imagine any of the developers searching through
> the ML archives for the word 'patches' to see what else they can review.
>
> Another thing would be to send small digestible patches as attachments, or
> at least hyperlink to the exact commits, in your email/bug reports/feature
> requests.  Basically, if I was a committer with maybe an hour or two a week

I did this already here:
http://lists.uvena.de/geany-devel/2010-August/thread.html (search for
emails with PATCH and my name). I can repeat the same, I just don't
want to spam the mailing list too much in case nobody is interested in
them.

To be fair, some of the patches were applied eventually but still I
find it a bit discouraging that most of the time I posted them to the
mailing list, I didn't get any response.

> to review patches, I would not want to have to learn to use a new VCS, hunt
> down and clone a local repo, locate the 3 commits, pull out patches for
> review, and *then* review them.

Last time I was asking Nick about whether I should rather send the
patches by mail he said it was alright the way I did. And as I said
above, I can send them by other means as well.

Cheers,

Jiri