[Geany-devel] Improving plugin API @since information?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Apr 24 13:30:03 UTC 2011

Le 21/04/2011 15:14, Nick Treleaven a écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 00:19:24 +0200
> Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>
>> It currently only gives the Geany version the symbol appeared on, but
>> generally the developer also need to know the plugin API version in
>> which it was introduced, e.g. in order to get the API requirement right.
>>
>> So, I'm suggesting to add this information whenever we add a new plugin
>> API function (and why not update the current doc when we can), e.g.:
>>
>>   @since 0.21 (API 206)
>>
>> or whatever format we prefer.
>>
>> Why I am starting this discussion is to know what the core developers
>> think of it (Nick, Enrico?), and whether the plugin developers thinks
>> it's useful for them or not.
>> So all, what do you think?
>
> I think it duplicates information too much.

Well, IMHO the Geany version (0.21 here) is useful for the end user and
for the developer to tell her users "you need at least Geany vX.Y to run
this plugin", and the plugin API version is useful for the developer to
fill PLUGIN_VERSIO_CHECK().

> There could be a lookup table for Geany version -> API number instead.

Why not, sounds reasonably useful and easy to do :)
However I'd prefer have the reverse match to let developer depend on the
real API they need rather than "the release that provides this API". But
maybe it's not important, it's development versions anyway.

Cheers,
Colomban