[Geany-devel] hex mode

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Apr 19 14:52:21 UTC 2011

On 04/19/11 02:30, Lex Trotman wrote:
> [...]
>> I thought about writing such a plugin before, but not using Scintilla
>> directly, I think I even might've wrote a little code for it.  I was looking
>> at using GtkHex[1] and messing with the main documents tab like the Devhelp
>> plugin does.  Getting a hex viewing widget into Geany is pretty easy, but
>> hooking it in to handle different filetypes and whatnot would probably be a
>> little harder.
>
> Not sure what you mean by handle filetypes, I thought the point of
> something like this would be to handle it as hex, no matter what the
> file was?

My idea was for viewing/editing binary files only, but it could be any
file really.  But mostly I was referring to things like tying in with
the document open signal, figuring out if it's a binary file, hijacking
the "document open" so it's displayed in GHex/GtkHex, preventing Geany
from trying to display it in Scintilla, integration with all the other
features like fonts, zooming, printing, etc.  That was the point when I
decided to just use an external hex viewer for binary files :)