[Geany-devel] SF.net SVN: geany:[5724] trunk

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Apr 17 11:13:05 UTC 2011

> Well, its hard to say, but maybe you are right. At least your points do
> sound reasonable. ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

I can completely understand the problem, I have a similar MAJOR
annoyance with Python, anything on the end of the line that is a
prefix of a completion gets the first completion chosen when return is
typed to end the line.  This doesn't happen in C or C++ since rarely
do lines end in a word, they mostly end in punctuation.

But for other languages the choice of return to select the item from
the completion list is inappropriate.  I have been forced to turn
autocompletion off for Python, but that means remembering it since
there is only one preference, not a per language one.

The proper solution would be to stop return selecting the item from
the menu, but unfortunately there does not seem to be any way of
changing that since it is the default activate keycode defined
somewhere deep in GTK.

The only implementation I can think of is to make the entire menu
inactive so return does not activate it and the key defined by prefs
(default tab) does the job.

So I don't think a PHP specific solution is appropriate, we do need to
look for a general solution.