[Geany-devel] Improving plugin API @since information?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Apr 13 22:19:24 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm thinking about adding an extra information to "since" tag of the
plugin API documentation.
It currently only gives the Geany version the symbol appeared on, but
generally the developer also need to know the plugin API version in
which it was introduced, e.g. in order to get the API requirement right.

So, I'm suggesting to add this information whenever we add a new plugin
API function (and why not update the current doc when we can), e.g.:

  @since 0.21 (API 206)

or whatever format we prefer.

Why I am starting this discussion is to know what the core developers
think of it (Nick, Enrico?), and whether the plugin developers thinks
it's useful for them or not.
So all, what do you think?

Cheers,
Colomban

P.S.: Actually I already did this once (but forgot to start this
thread), in r5650 [1].

[1]
http://git.geany.org/geany/commit/?id=15ace45ae1e853ffa728e02114629179b95b52a1