[Geany-devel] New plugin: ctags code navigation

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Tue Apr 12 21:10:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 00:26, Alexandre Erwin Ittner
<listas at ittner.com.br> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>

> I just started writing a plugin to search/jump to declarations read from
> ctags/etags files. The current code is hosted in a GitHub repository [1]
> cloned from the geany-plugins repository. I started this project so I can
> use Geany to navigate through the code of a project with some thousand
> files, but I think it may be useful for more people.  Are somebody
> interested?

Hi Alexandre,

I created a similar plugin for similar reasons as you almost a year
ago but haven't published it yet (but use it on daily basis). If you
are interested, here it is:

http://db.tt/vbu9QRH

The plugin adds "Find Tag Definition" and "Find Tag Declaration" items
into the context menu, then adds Project->find tag which pops up a
dialog where you can search for a tag by name and finally, you can
generate the tags file for the current project. The tags generation
depends on my project modification patches, see

http://lists.uvena.de/geany-devel/2011-April/004449.html

namely 4774306b7f65237ef75b01e8d6c8312dcc5c526e, which adds project
file patterns into project properties, which are then used to find
project files for which tags are generated. I create a sorted tags
file which speeds up searches in the tags file but which also means
that my plugin won't work properly when an unsorted tags file is used.

Feel free to use any portions of the code if you wish.

Cheers,

Jiri