[Geany-devel] geany-newsletter: License of newsletter

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Apr 9 10:18:13 UTC 2011

On 9 April 2011 18:31, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 11:17:20 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > But CC-BY is allowing this. Maybe CC-BY-SA would be a more GPL-like
>> > flavor of CC.
>>
>> Yes, CC-BY allows modification.  IIUC CC-BY-SA would preclude any more
>> than "fair use" quantities of material anywhere that is not itself
>> licensed by CC_BY_SA.  For example this might preclude use of
>> newsletter articles on software blogging sites if they have
>> non-CC-BY-SA licenses.  So I am not in favor of CC-BY-SA.
>
> Well, I think its not 100% true. Short, you can do what every you want
> with it if you keep points in mind: BY and redistribute derivates
> and the original by CC-BY-SA. This is not enforcing you to move your
> whole blog to CC.

Quote CC-BY-SA "All new works based on yours will carry the same
license,", IIUC a blog that contains significant content becomes a
derivative work, and so has to have CC-BY-SA as well.  But most blog
sites (especially ones hosted by others, usually have other licenses
and terms and conditions that make it hard to change just one blog to
a different license.