[Geany-devel] geany-newsletter: License of newsletter

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sat Apr 9 08:31:37 UTC 2011

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 11:17:20 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > But CC-BY is allowing this. Maybe CC-BY-SA would be a more GPL-like
> > flavor of CC.
>
> Yes, CC-BY allows modification.  IIUC CC-BY-SA would preclude any more
> than "fair use" quantities of material anywhere that is not itself
> licensed by CC_BY_SA.  For example this might preclude use of
> newsletter articles on software blogging sites if they have
> non-CC-BY-SA licenses.  So I am not in favor of CC-BY-SA.

Well, I think its not 100% true. Short, you can do what every you want
with it if you keep points in mind: BY and redistribute derivates
and the original by CC-BY-SA. This is not enforcing you to move your
whole blog to CC.

> If using CC-BY how should attribution be required?  Perhaps "Geany
> newsletter team" and (if online) link to Geany website.

Yepp, that's what I had in my mind.

Cheers,
Frank
--