[Geany-devel] geany-newsletter: License of newsletter

Randy Kramer rhkramer at xxxxx
Fri Apr 8 18:45:12 UTC 2011

On Friday 08 April 2011 01:54:13 pm Dominic Hopf wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 08.04.2011, 18:28 +0200 schrieb Thomas Martitz:
> > I never heard of licenses for newsletters.
>
> Me neither.

Well, it is written material, and, automatically (iiuc, according to the
Berne Treaty) subject to copyright (i.e., it is copyrighted).  So,
who/how do you want to allow anyone else to use it?

That's what a license is.  If you don't specify a license, I guess (I
think) no one has a right to copy and use it for any purpose, but,
ianal (i am not a liar^H^H^H^Hlawyer).

So, you can certainly apply a license, and that would seem to be better
than not applying a license, with possible arguments after someone has
done something with the content which you (collectively) don't wish
done.

Randy Kramer